Frequently Asked Questions
What is the JET Program?
Journey into Education & Teaching (JET) is a support and mentoring program specifically designed for paraprofessionals who want to become licensed teachers but need to complete their Bachelor’s degrees and teacher licensure requirements. JET offers professional and career development seminars to help sustain paraprofessionals over this multi-year journey to teaching.
Am I eligible?
- Seeking a Bachelor's degree
- Currently employed in a Massachusetts public school
- Employed for 2+ years as a paraprofessional in a Massachusetts public school
- Minimum 2.0 GPA in prior college coursework, if applicable
- Must enroll in two courses per semester during the JET Program
- U.S. Citizen or non-citizen eligible under Title IV regulations
- Not be in default of federal or state student loans
Is there a program fee for participating in JET?
If accepted to JET, program services are free. College tuition and fees are not provided by JET.
Please note that acceptance to JET does not guarantee admission to a higher education institution or the awarding of financial aid.
If I have a Bachelor's degree, can I join JET?
No. JET only accepts paraprofessionals seeking their Bachelor’s degree.
What are the benefits of the program?
- Connection with a support network of paraprofessionals and other educators on this multi-year journey to becoming a teacher
- 68% of past participants earned their Bachelor’s degrees, compared to the national college completion rate of 30% for part-time adult college students
- Advisement on financial aid for undergraduate education
- Guidance on the college admissions and enrollment processes
- Participation in Success Seminars from September to June that will strengthen and support your academic and career goals to become a licensed teacher
- Seminar topics include Navigating University/College Services, Understanding the Teacher Licensure Process, Learning Technologies as an Education Tool, Hiring and Employment Processes in Boston Public Schools, among others.
How long does the program take?
The length of the program depends on where you are in your undergraduate studies when you enter the JET program. JET provides support throughout your journey to becoming a teacher.